I had plenty of cake scraps remaining from the Devil’s Food Cake and Yellow Vanilla Cake for the four-layer cake I had made for Dave’s birthday. I also had some cream cheese frosting remaining from a Carrot and Cream Cheese cake I had baked for a client. I had an unused sexy grey rectangular tart pan I was dying to use. So I did the predictable things I could with all of them.
- I crushed the Devil’s Food Cake and the Vanilla Cake separately.
- Then I layered the yellow cake crumbs at the bottom of the pan by pressing them into the greased tart pan and put the pan in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- On the layer of Vanilla crumbs, I poured some cream cheese frosting and smoothed it gently. I put it back in the freezer for setting.
- Next I pressed in crumbs from the Devil’s Food Cake and froze it for 20-30 minutes.
- I spread the remaining cream cheese frosting on the dark layer and sprinkled a few frozen rasberries and blueberries on the cream cheese. I cling wrapped it, and put it to set in the freezer.
- Gave it a fancy name (Layered cheese cake, or some such name).
- Served it right after a pasta dinner and turned a Friday TV dinner into an exotic meal. Feel like a domestic goddess (that you aren’t) as you watch your husband’s eyes light up when you serve him neat little triangles of the assembled dessert.