These muffins that I am talking of can lure you into eating them morning, noon and night. They aren’t overly sweet, have brown sugar, a hint of spice and lots of fruits. All these ingredients can make you believe that these muffins are “healthy”. Trust me anything that tastes so good, and contains flour, butter and sugar can’t be healthy. So moderation is key. Share them with friends or colleagues. That way you distribute the calories, instead of piling them all on to yourself.
Of course like some good recipes that I know of, I came across the recipe here. Although I didn’t make any changes to the original recipe, I have it down here for folks who do not wish to click another link…
What you will need:
- Flour – 2 cups/230 gms
- Butter – 120g
- Brown Sugar – 180 gms
- Eggs – 2 large
- Curd/Yogurt – 3 tablespoons
- Baking Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking Soda – 1 teaspoon
- All-spice – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pineapple – 75 gms (approximately 3 slices chopped into small cubes)
- Fresh Grated Coconut – 30 gms
- Banana – 1 large chopped into small pieces
- Vanilla essence/extract – 1 tablespoon
For the topping
- Brown sugar – 4 tablespoons
- All Spice – 1 teaspoon
- Grated coconut – 20 gms
How you make it:
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Line a 12-hole muffin try with paper cases.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and All-spice together thrice to ensure they mix well.
- Beat the eggs separately.
- Whisk together the butter and sugar till they are a creamy mix.
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time, alternating with the beaten eggs.
- Add the yogurt and vanilla and whisk.
- Gently, fold in the chopped fruits and grated coconut.
- Distribute equally in all the paper cases.
- Mix all the ingredients for the topping and sprinkle a little on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes or till done.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the oven and then bring it out and cool.
Best-served as breakfast, a day after you’ve made them, when the flavor of the All-spice has sunk into the muffins. The crunch of the brown sugar on top is heavenly so make sure to add the topping.